Since it's Valentines Day next week I thought it would be the perfect excuse to create something super pink and floury to please my inner princess. Or so..
They are actually raw vegan and so easy to make. Plus food on a lolly pop stick tastes always 100 times better. Right?
Ingredients for 10 cake pops:
For the red velvet dough:
60g walnuts, ground
60g pecans, ground
80g desiccated coconut
1/2 beetroot, finely grated
1/2 tsp ground ginger
For the chocolate shell:
60g coconut oil
25g cacao powder
40g maple syrup
For the pink coconut sprinkles:
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
a few drops of beetroot juice for coloring
Plain desiccated coconut, pistachios or crushed almonds for decoration purposes.
You will also need 10 cake pop sticks.
1. Start by placing the ground walnuts and pecans into a mixing bowl. Grind the in a blender of food processor first, when using the whole nuts.
2. Add the dates and the coconut into a bender and blend until the dates are broken down and sticking together with the coconut. Then add the mixture to the ground nuts
3. Peel and grate the beetroot really finely before you add it to the mixing bowl. Use your hands to combine everything. Make sure that the beetroot spreads well to get that pink color we're looking for on Valentines Day
4. Form the dough into balls (you can use a scale to make them evenly sized) and place them into the freezer while preparing the chocolate coating
5. To make the chocolate simply melt the coconut oil in a double boiler before adding in the cacao and maple syrup. Be careful not to overheat the coconut oil as otherwise the cacao might not bind with the oil. Stir well and make sure there are no lumps left.
6. Take the dough balls out of the freezer and insert one of the sticks into each of them. Dip them into the chocolate, making sure they're evenly coated. Sprinkle some of the coconut over them while rotating the pops until they're evenly coated if you with to decorate them. Otherwise leave them just as they are. Place them, with the stick down, into little jars to allow them to cool.
7. Once the chocolate shell has hardened the cake pops are ready to eat. Store them in the fridge for about 3 days or in the freezer to make them last longer.